Should girls get armpits shaved in unisex salon ?

Log In Forums Shaving Waxing and Threading Should girls get armpits shaved in unisex salon ?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 48 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Ams 1 year ago.

• Author

Revathi
    Participant

Hi friends,

I recently came to know through my friends that, when men go to barbershop to get a haircut, after the haircut is done, they might open their shirt and get their armpits also shaved from the barber.
    Usually this is for free.

I too shave my armpits at home. Is it ok to get it shaved at a unisex salon?
    I can wear a sleeveless top when i go to salon and then barber can easily shave it.

But I have never seen any girl doing that. Is it ok and socially acceptable to do this ?

jer
    Participant

it depends although not necessarilly in a salon.

Anonymous

If there is a place where other customers are not present, it should be OK.

Shilpa
    Participant

Come on guys !! We are in 21st centuary!!
    Whats so much big deal about it?

@Rocky: why it a womens armpits cannot be shaved when other male customers are present?

@jer: didnt understand your point.

Anonymous

@shilpa. If the woman is comfortable, there is no problem. If the woman needs privacy, then… Earlier even the thought of unisex parlour with common place for service did not exist

Shilpa
    Participant

True that.
    But logically, revathi anyways wears sleeveless and exposes her armpits…
    So whats the problem in getting it shaved in public.
    Its just like haircut then i think.

Anonymous

A matter of mindset. Girls armpits were perhaps taboo. The first time it happens, people may notice. But when women get armpits shaved regularly, it will be like a haircut

Shilpa
    Participant

I think its just in our minds, that things are tabboo…
    One does it, no one complains.

I think there was someone who gets her armpits shaved in salon.
    I think it was Nishas mom. Not sure but.

jer
    Participant

My point is she can shaved it at home or have it waxed.

Anonymous

Well depends on place. Maybe unthinkable in a small town.Another place it may be a routine thing. No one will bother

Shilpa
    Participant

I think its not a routine thing because many girls get waxed. So no one shaves in salon feeling shy.

Anonymous

Yes I agree with shilpa.even my wife got armpits waxed

Anonymous

And couple of time she got shaved by male barbers in unisex salon

Shilpa
    Participant

Look rocky,
    We already have examples here. Sids wife gets her armpits shaved by male barbers.

Saur
    Participant

@shi-Its very rightly said its only a mindset if women and girls can comfortably have haircut at barbers chair ,why cant they get their arm pits shaved now its also not a taboo even in small towns and middle class thpugh its like any hygienic and cosmetic requirement of body like haircut.
    My real aunt in a mid level town from last 10 years after her 40s i think comfortably goes regularly in a month for her haircut at a barber with my uncle and also put sleeveless at that time so most of the times she get her armpit cleaned from barber just at 2-3strokes of straight edge razor without hitches even she manytimes get her hairline and side burns set through straight edge razor as a regular customer.

Even like countries japan ,women in india now are also going for face shaves at barber to remove dead skin and pigmentation evn that is also not a taboo at present scenario.

yogesh
    Participant

I live in a small town and I dont think this will be possible in our town.
    One day my wife had gone to salon with long hair and returned with a bob.
    She became so famous for this incident.
    There was gossip everywhere among men that my wife is very modern and hot etc.
    Her haircut created such news, imagine what will happen if she tomorrow goes to salon and gets her armpits shaved !!

Saur
    Participant

@yog Then you can always take the services of barber at home ,I came to interestingly from my clients only that the women took services from conventional home visiting barber when there were no such facilities and in 60s 70s ,in every house a barber used to visit after every 3-4days to shave the man folk and for haircut once a month at week ends and the women at that time took services of that barber in shaving of arm pits and hair trimming also as per their requirement once or twice a month moreover the women who was fond of short hairs that time also they asked for simple U or V cut shoulder or mid back length from barber as that time pixie or mushroom or boy or steps or layer was not prevailing in india.Even curls and perming was introduced by barbers.
    Also women even with long hairs used to get nape shave from barbers at home to remove mess of stubbles on their neck.
    So go ahead and take services as per your requirement.

yogesh
    Participant

Saur,

I think only men used to get their haircut or shave when barber used to go to their home.
    I dont think women dared to get any kind of haircut from male barbers.

I think situation has changed now in small towns. And women get haircuts from males now in unsiex salon. but armpit shave is i think still not socially acceptable.

Revathi
    Participant

This is exactly what made me create such a topic.
    Many people will be surprised if they see any girl getting her armpits shaved in a unisex salon.
    Also barbers would have never got such a request from any client, so it will be difficult to ask barbers as well.

Saur
    Participant

@rev its the scenario may be 10 years back but presently its not so u can go ahead and try …be assure u will be comfortable

Revathi
    Participant

I wish i knew someone who actually does this. And hear her experience…

Saur
    Participant

Take the onhands experience rev and i also told u my aunt regular practice so where is the hitch?

Anonymous

Unisex salons exist which have different sections for men and women. There may be women who get underarms done. No men to watch them.

Shilpa
    Participant

ROcky,

I think getting underarms shaved in ladies section, defeats the purpose of the question.
    Revathi wants to know, if it is ok to shave in front of males on unisex salon.

Anonymous

@shilpa. Perfectly alright. Initially some men may wonder what is going on. Later everyone will get used to the concept. Men will keep fiddling the mobile phone and not bother about the girl on next seat getting armpits shaved

yogesh
    Participant

I think in that case, you girls will have to start a new revolution, but also face a lot of attention and gossip the way my wife is facing for getting bobcut in a small town.

Saur
    Participant

@Shi you are right and its already going on a practice now evn its not a taboo to get women armpits shaved at unisex saloon as i told u my aunt doing it from long and many times i accompanied her its not at all embrassing and many women doing it as a matter of hygiene and non suitability and acidic nature of hair removing creams.And most unisex saloons are no one but improved barbers.

Shilpa
    Participant

So your aunty gets her armpits shaved from a male barber? in unisex salon?

Revathi
    Participant

Last Sunday I had went to salon for haircut. Since I had this topic in mind, i decided to wear sleeveless top so that if opportunity permits, i will ask barber to shave armpits.
    Luckily, there were only few ppl in waiting area. (A few men also)
    After my haircut, I asked barber in low voice if he can shave armpits, he agreed without second thought as if it was a very normal thing and shaved my armpits quickly.

I was very comfortable getting it shaved and neither ppl were staring.

So I think we can assume, Armpits shave for girls can be done in Unisex salon.

Hari Hair
    Participant

Hey, it is nice to hear that you got your pits shaved in the salon.

Please, tell me your shave experience? How you felt when he was shaving?

Revathi
    Participant

Hari,

It was a very quick thing.
    He asked me to raise my arm and then just took razor and shaved it in 2 mins.
    Same way for other hand as well.

latasri
    Participant

revathi u tod in ur message 5th Jan had underarm shave in unisex saloon. nice.But u mention \\\”So I think we can assume, Armpits shave for girls can be done in Unisex salon\\\”, not assuming u have done so they do for underarmshave for ladies also. thank u.

Revathi
    Participant

True latasri. I agree.

Ackwardness was only in my mind. But barber was very cool about it. So I plan to get my armpit shaved from barber whenever I go next. I am also ok if he charges me extra fir it. Thankfully last time it was a free service for me. He he he..

latasri
    Participant

i agree revathi. but ackwardness is in ur mind.ok. but any how u have asked barber to pit shve without shy. Immediately he has done it. nice. Next time also u r going to do it. U r from revthi. very bold revathi. View

latasri
    Participant

Revathi. Where areu from?
    Now a days ladies needs boy cut with armpit shaved.
    THey dont bother bout gender for haircut and shve.
    Inolden dys they feel. Now they are dont bother about it.
    SImply go to unisex and had haircut. In future they my visit even barbershop for haircut also.

Ams
    Participant

I think there is no problem to get armpit shave in unisex salon. Now a days people mindset is totally changed and no one will bother about it…

latasri
    Participant

h u done in ur pit shved in unisex by male barber ams. how is ur feeling while shave.

Revathi
    Participant

Ams,

CoMpletely agree. The initial hesitation was just fear of unknown.

Latasri,

Overall it was fun to get my armpits shaved by barber. I liked the fact that you just have to sit and someone rlse does the work for you.

latasri
    Participant

LATASRI
    Super Ams. Very nice. My hubby do for me. I really enjouyedit.

Shilpa
    Participant

Has anyone else too has got armpits shaved in salon ?

latasri
    Participant

HI
    SHILPA

H U DONE RMPIT SHVE IN SLOON

Ams
    Participant

Hi All,

Last Saturday afternoon, when i went salon for my haircut, one lady of age around 50-55 came to the salon for armpit hairs. There was not much rush in the salon. Infront of me she opened her arms wide and clean her hair clean with foam shave. I was very much surprised. After she went I just checked with barber and come to know that she is regular customer for him and visit around monthly for it.

It was a nice experience. I don’t think that now ladies have any problem to shave their armpits in public.

Anonymous

Cool. Encourage the armpits shave by girls in salon

Revathi
    Participant

Thanks Darshan.
    Its late now, as i have already shaved my armpits in unisex salon. Still, what is your opinion on females getting their armpits shaved in unisex salon. Is it ok to so so?

Anonymous

@revathi. Yes.

Shilpa
    Participant

Revathi
    Seems darshan dosent just feels that it is ok… he wants to ‘Envourage’ it.
    He he he

Komal
    Participant

Reading all the experiences

Have to try….

Ams
    Participant

@Komal Go for it. Best luck….

Ams
    Participant

had anyone tried recently?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.