Do Indian women dont get short haircuts only in the name of tradition?

Log In Forums Haircuts and Hairstyles Do Indian women dont get short haircuts only in the name of tradition?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Shilpa
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Most of the girls i have met have medium or long hair. And very few of them would go for short haircuts. Is this because of family pressure or maybe that long hair on girls is a tradition ?
    Ir are there any other reasons too? How do you prefer things to be?

Shilpa
    Participant

FYI… i too have waist length hair and hence was wondering if we have steriotyped women as someone who has long hair and pose with pout while taking selfies !!

vasu
    Participant

Main reason I believe is ppl think women with long hair r sexy.
    Most of the girls have long hair is due to their parents and relatives, as thy want their gals to b calm and obedient.
    With long hair u can make siffrnt hairstyles.
    Most of indian women think and believe long hair as a part of their body and dont want to detach it frm them.

If u see history, men too had long hair, but aftr british invasion men evolved to short hair, but women remained same.

Shilpa
    Participant

This might not be true that people find long hair beautiful. Because after getting short haircuts many girls are getting more attention. Look at Nishas mom… or even Nisha.
    I guess same ia true about divya.
    I have waist length hair and i do have few fans, but not a fan following like these girls!!

Nisha
    Participant

I would definately agree to this. When i had long hair i was a no one. But it just took like one hour to chop off all my hair and suddenly i was a hot babe. Lmao…. and as far as mom goes, she is in the leagues of models and actresses now… lmao… ☺☺☺

Stan
    Participant

Most of the Indian women keep their hair long for traditional reasons and treat long hair as an asset.
    I think they follow it blindly like they wear sarees and heavy dresses even in burning summer in the name of tradition.
    Hope it will change with generations and I think it has begun already.

vasu
    Participant

Long hair women r common in our country.. so u wont b noticed unlesa u have extra ordinary hair length. But short hair girls r very less. Tats y u get attention whr ever u go. Still ther r many girls who r afraid to cut their hair short. For them hair is like any other important organ in their body.. right..?
    I read a news somewhre, rapists target long hair girls because its easy to hold them with their hair and control them.

vasu
    Participant

As far I know most tamil girls have a unseperable relation with their long hair. in Most families, parents dont allow their daughters to cut their hair. Many girls think tat their long hair is a treasure fr them..

Nisha
    Participant

True, but atleast south indias have opportunity to shave head at tirupati…. he he he….

I think people just judge girls as modern when they have short hair. Its like she comes from a modern family coz hwr parents allowed her to cut hair. I think this is nonsense. Everyone has a right to keep thwir hair as they want. People talk about society, but society is formed by us. We together are called society. So if everyone is broad minded we can become a very good society.

Generally people follow bollywood styles. Now that many actresses are getting short haircuts i hope now people will opt more for shorter haircuts.

vasu
    Participant

We not only have tirupati, we have palani, samayapuram temples wher ppl shave their heads. But slutty boy u r not ready to go bald and chk hw cool it is to be bald.. errr.

Shilpa
    Participant

I feel that when Nishas mom had long hair she was a normal beautiful lady, but when her mom got a pixie haircut, suddenly she became the hottest girl around !! Why so ?

vasu
    Participant

As said earlier, having long hair in our country u r indiffrent. Wen u hve short hair, ppl notice u, it exposes more skin especially ur neck. So u look different frm normal girls. do u guys know tat neck is one of the sexy region, and wen girls r touched in neck thy get aroused sexually.?

Nisha
    Participant

Shilpa,

Moms only hair is not changed, her dressing atyle and everything is changed. Since we live in a very modern locality here its ok. So it is not only the hair but everything is changed.
    But i do agree that only a short haircut would also get a lot of attention.

vasu
    Participant

Mom’s change.. u r responsible fr it slutty boy..

Nisha
    Participant

How am i responsible ?☺

vasu
    Participant

Cos, u chnged her hairstyle.. made her wear bikini blouse and brought out the naughty Mandy Leone character sleeping in her.. tat occasion gave her the guts to do evrythng she’s doing now..

vasu
    Participant

Whr r u ppl..? Provide ur comments on this topic.. u guys are moving out wenever u see a new topic to discuss.. #annoying #want info #indian tradition

Nisha
    Participant

Vasu you are right to an extent about me encouraging mom but she was anyways a bit modern. I only gave her fashion sense… lol…

BTW i loved how cute Sonam kapoor looked in bob in movie Neerja.

vasu
    Participant

Although it was a fake bob style right..? U need some guts to chop off ur hair..

Nisha
    Participant

True… she still has long hair.But Atleast we got to see her in bob.

karthik
    Participant

short style on the women looks like they are young

Nisha
    Participant

Agreed karthik… but still women in india are hesitant to cut their hair short or even reduce their length. And that is only because of tradition.

What do you think about this? What can we do to change this?

karthik
    Participant

We have approach them through the advantage side,like by keeping short hair,time will be saved, and they will get more confidence about their look.

karthik
    Participant

And why cant we change their way of thinking like. Keeping long hair is tradition,and we have to show them the womens who donated their hair to cancer awareness

Stan
    Participant

We can change the thinking, but it will happen in Urban parts and people in rural India will continue to have same hairstyle and shave it for God once in a while

Nisha
    Participant

I think we should have bob haircuts at tirupati and other hair donation places. That will ensure that we have gorgeous ladies…. what say !!

karthik
    Participant

No, nisha, i will not possible, we have to think in some different way

Stan
    Participant

That is a good Idea Nisha, instead of shaving they must chop off the braid or ponytail of devotees. It will be easy to collect and store for wigs.

karthik
    Participant

But as a tradition they want to shave their heads, not to cut

Stan
    Participant

Given the Option it will make them think to get the cut instead of losing it all based on the length

Stan
    Participant

If not all some people might go for it. With time Traditons can be changed.

yogesh
    Participant

Stan,

I agree with you. Look at my situation. If my wife would have got a bob haircut in name of god, it wouldnt have become so much topic of discussion.
    Now my wife is like become famous for her hotness.

Anonymous

@shilpa. Ur long hair is owing to traditional pressure. Ur man does not allow you to chop hair

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.